A 17th century dwelling with parklands and a garden in the centre of a village in the Charente Limousine area.
4 hours from Paris by road, with 340 km on motorways, 50 km from Limoges and its station with links to the French capital, 1 hour from Limoges international airport and its daily flights to Paris and Great Britain. In the centre of a village with local shops and 10 minutes from a small town with a farmers market, a supermarket and all shops, restaurants, cafés and a hospital. Not far from the Issoire Valley, a natural tourist site, in undulating, pastoral countryside where small fields surrounded by thick hedges alternate with deciduous forests.
This building, set in the middle of the village and protected by tall wrought iron gates, was constructed in 1630. Standing out from the other houses in the vicinity, it comprises a central building, flanked by two pavilions with pyramidal-hipped roofs and even older outbuildings set at right angles. The quadrilateral formed in this way features a layout typical of the construction period. The bigger left wing integrates a second house and a barn. The elegant courtyard is set out around boxwood bushes trimmed into arabesque shapes and a strange old fish breeding pool now filled with koi carp.
The south-west facade is plainer but it dominates a large section of the village and looks down on 2.5 ha of parklands and gardens. The slightly sloping land provides delightful views from a variety of angles. On the west side, a number of small, attractive, old roofs are to be seen, bearing witness to vernacular architecture.
The dwellingThis impressive building is constructed over two levels, with a third level installed in each tower. It has numerous old elements and some exceptional decorative features.
The ground floor is accessed via a door in the centre of the facade, after having crossed the courtyard from the street. This opens into a vestibule with the old wooden stairway, under which is concealed the boiler room.
A door on the right-hand side of the vestibule leads to a large lounge. This superb double aspect room is illuminated via a tall, south-facing French window. It features a Louis XV style, curved walnut wood fireplace and wide strip pattern parquet flooring. This room stands out, above all, because of its decor comprising old wallpaper on all four walls. Dating from 1811, it was made by the Joseph-Dufour-&-Cie factory and its motifs, designed by Jean-Broc (1771-1830), are taken from the novel Paul-et-Virginie by Jacques-Henri-Bernardin-de-Saint-Pierre. This backd-rop is not, however, overpowering and would easily go with other works of art and paintings. This is followed by an old door which opens into a small lounge, currently in use as a dining room. It features some superb hangings on three of its walls. This room is in the south-west corner of the building and is attractively illuminated on two sides.
The adjacent west wing opens into the dining room, the large fireplace of which is fitted with an old roasting spit. This room precedes the kitchen which, although functional, could do with some restoration works. The last two rooms in this wing are used as studies.
A door with a trumeau, on the left-hand side of the vestibule, opens into a lovely lounge-library. Its walls are completely covered with panelling, featuring curved corners, between which is set a small Louis XV wooden fireplace which still has its trumeau and its mirror. This is followed by a last delightful and luminous room which awaits conversion and decoration.
The first floor is reached either via a central, oak wood stairway or via another more modest stairway installed near to the kitchen. An intermediate landing on the main stairway is decorated with wooden panels that form vast cupboards and house a separate toilet. ...
Anzahl der Schlafzimmer: 9, Bundesland: Limousin